Undergraduate Program

Environmental Engineering

Advanced Standing


Advanced Standing Requirements

Advanced standing is required to take 300- and 400-level environmental engineering courses. Students must request advanced standing in the second semester of their sophomore year in order to register for their junior-year engineering courses.

The department grants advanced standing for fall semester of junior year if students are missing only one or two course requirements and meet the 2.3 GPA requirements. At the beginning and end of fall semester junior year, students who have not completed the required courses or who no longer meet the GPA requirements will have their advanced standing revoked and must spend a year repairing their academic record before they can continue in the program.

For permanent advanced standing, the requirements below must be met.

1. Pass the following courses:

  • ENGL 101, 102
  • MATH 122A, 122B, 125, 129, 223, 254
  • CHEM 151, 152, 241A, 243A
  • PHYS 141, 241
  • AME 105, AME 205
  • CHEE 201, 202, 295E, 370R
  • ENGR 102, 102A and 102B, or substitution. (ENGR 102AB is counted toward GPA for advanced standing, but not considered a deficiency if not taken. Substitution is any ENGR course to replace ENGR 102 prior to graduation. Please consult with an academic adviser or explore Engineering Elections options when locating a substitution. This substitution cannot be used twice.)
Advanced Standing

Note: Equivalent Honors courses or transfer credit can be used to fulfill these requirements.

 2. Obtain a University of Arizona GPA of 2.0/4.0.

3. Complete the lower-division English requirement as specified by your adviser.

4. Maintain an environmental engineering GPA of 2.3 (i.e., CHEE 201, 202, 295E, 370R).

In addition to these requirements, undergraduate students are advised that success in upper-division courses usually requires an average of C or better in the prerequisite chemical engineering courses (CHEE 201, 295E, 370R). If these requirements are not met, your temporary advanced standing can be revoked, and you will then need an additional year to complete your degree requirements.

Please see your adviser to avoid problems. See the College of Engineering Advanced Standing page for more information.

Undergraduate and Graduate Advisor

Chemical and Environmental Engineering

Michelle Wik





Contact Us

Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Phone: 520.621.1897
Fax: 520.621.6048
Email: advisor@chee.arizona.edu
1133 E. James E. Rogers Way
Harshbarger Building, Room 105C 
Tucson, AZ 85721


University of Arizona College of Engineering